The Best Astus 20.5 Alternative
If you are looking for an Astus 20.5 alternative, then you are in the right place!
Having sailed the Astus 20.5 it is a fine boat, but we believe the Adventure 600 offers far more versatility, speed and overall benefits.
The Adventure 600 trimaran is challenging the status quo amongst trailer trimarans, offering cutting edge performance and style for the home builder.
You can buy the Adventure 600 Sports model plans now in large paper format. We are currently creating .dxf files – soon to be available free for all purchasers of the plans to date.
The Sports model is very similar in size to the Astus 20.5 but does not have the small cabin.
The Adventure 600 Coastal Cruiser coming later this year has a cabin and galley area. If you need a cabin, then this is our direct competitor to the Astus 20.5.
Why build the Adventure 600 Sport model?
If you are looking for an alternative to the Astus 20.5, the Adventure 600 Sport model compares very well:
- The A600 Sport model is approximately 130kg lighter than the basic Astus 20.5 and is still around 80kg lighter than the more expensive infused options
- You will save many thousands of pounds building your own boat
- Depending on the exact specification you build to of course!
- You can camp overnight using a lightweight tent on the trampolines or on the main hull
- We are currently designing a lightweight trampoline to attach across the main hull
Fast Foiler Model
You can buy the Adventure 600 Fast Foiler model plans now in large paper format. We are currently creating .dxf files – soon to be available free for all purchasers of the plans to date.
You can sail this model without foils exactly as you would the Sport model above.
When required, you can quiclky change the boat by:
- Adding the front foils through the slots in the floats
- Swap the standard rudder for the inverted T foil rudder
- Connect the tiller control for adjusting the rake on the rudder foil
- Add water!
Now, you have a fast foiling trimaran!
Experience the thrill of the “magic carpet” ride foiling above the waves!
- Lifting the hulls out of the water reduces slamming and increases speeds
- Remove the slamming of waves and chop as you glide above them!
- You can raise and lower the foils and rudder to suit your requirements and conditions
- Adjust the rake of the inverted T rudder on the fly
- You can sail in and out of shallow water with the foils raised and deploy them when your conditions suit
- Getting in and out of the ramp or off the beach is no problem
- The retracted foils provide much reduced lift but help to stabilise the boat
- If conditions deteriorate, you can safely manage the speed
The rest of the boat remains exactly the same – sails, rigging, main hull.
A truly multi-purpose boat that does not compromise!
Coastal Cruiser Model
The Coastal Cruiser model is the closest alternative to the Astus 20.5.
This model is under development and we will soon be able to give out more detailed information.
It utilises the same beams, floats and basic main hull dimensions as the other models.
Adding a small cuddy cabin enables under cover stays with a small galley facility making this ideal small, fast cruising trailerable trimaran.
Build from Plans or Buy a Kit?
The paper plans are available and you can cut out the panels yourself.
Many people find this daunting unless they have done it before.
It is actually quite straight forward though. The main issue is having enough space to lay out the panels and then epoxy them together overnight while they cure.
You then assemble the main hull and floats using the tried and tested stitch and glue method.
Buy a Kit
If you are not happy cutting out the panels yourself, we will soon be able to offer kits of all panels. These are precision cut using CNC technology.
This will speed up the process for you to get to the finishing stages and get on the water.
Buy Part / Complete Built Boats
Finally, we are investigating providing part and even completely built boats.
The process and pricing is some way down the road but expect major savings over the Astus 20.5 and other competitors.
We even sell plans for our lightweight aluminium trailer! This is far lighter than the usual steel models.
The boat slides onto supportive bunks that hold the entire length of the main hull.
Roller supports can cause issues long term with pressure points softening the hull so bunks were chosen as our preferred option.
Being much lighter than the Astus and most other trailers makes moving the Adventure 600 far easier and means almost any car can tow this boat.
Finally, our electric boat mover will be available from the summer 2021 to buy or build.
Large ATV wheels along with huge power ensure you can launch your adventure anywhere!
This has various options to suit your needs:
- A solar panel to keep the battery topped up
- Various battery options from lead acid to LiFePo
- A strong steel box section frame
- You can order a lightweight aluminium frame to make portability much easier